Hi y'all! My awesome sis-in-law (Jennifer) has taught me how to make her family's red beans and rice. I've posted about it on social media and some of you have asked for the recipe. It's delicious! Hope you enjoy. :D
*TIP: precut everything and put in 2 large ziplock bags (one for meat & one for the veggies.) Keep in fridge and in the morning throw in pot w seasonings, water, and beans... Then boom! Cook!
- 2 lbs red kidney beans (Camellia is my favorite brand!)
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 or 3 celery sticks
- Fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- Green onions
- 1 large tablespoon Minced garlic
- Andouille cajun sausage (enough for a few large handfuls)
- Cooked ham chunk (enough for a few large handfuls)
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- White rice
- Cut the onion, celery, green onions, & bell pepper into tiny diced pieces
- Cut roughly a handful of flat leaf parsley into tiny pieces
- Throw all into a large slow cooker (or pot if you don't own one)
- Cut the ham into little square pieces, and the sausage into about half inch slices and throw into pot
- Add a large tablespoonful of minced garlic
- Add the beans and stir
- Add water so that the top of the water skims the surface on all the other ingredients.
- Stir in some salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder to taste
- Cover and cook on high in the crock pot for 6-8 hours or until the bean mixture turns red and mushy!, stirring every hour and adding more water if needed. Stove: medium-low heat? (Never cooked it on the stove!)
To serve (makes about 6-8 servings):
- Cook rice and serve in bowl w beans on top.
- Also goes well with cornbread on the side.
- Add some Tabasco hot sauce for extra heat!
To save for leftovers:
- Store leftovers in fridge for up to a week.
- or freeze for later!